Exercise. Torture. Hell. Misery. Suffering. Call it what you will. The point is, exercise sucks! I think everyone has their personal reasons for doing it {or not doing it}. I read once that the advantage of exercising every day is that you die healthier....(???) Anyway, my reasons for exercise are in my gene pool: heart attack, diabetes, and stroke. Say those three words to me and I'll get my butt on a treadmill. I've worked really hard the last couple of years to make exercise a lifestyle rather than something I do right after Christmas, or right before swimsuit season.
However, I was recently introduced to a new form of exercise. I'm sorry, it's actually equivalent to exercising in an insane asylum. Back in April, a coworker and I were talking, and I somehow walked away with a bet that I just had to win. He and I challenged each other to the nine-week Insanity workout program.
The reasons I decided to do it are a mystery to me. I hate having a workout buddy (I'm a soloist exerciser for many reasons). I hate making bets on exercising (do it for the right reason, not just to win a bet). I hate committing to something I've never tried (commitment takes time and effort). So naturally, this whole thing made perfect sense.
The first day I tried it, I thought, "How hard can it be?" After all, Jillian Michaels is my fictitious workout buddy. If I can stick it out with Jillian, this should be a easy.
Poor, stupid, and naive girl.
I died during that first workout. Seriously. I'm pretty sure my heart stopped, and I probably followed a bright light before God changed his mind about wanting me back up there.
I was in the fetal position, on the floor, looking as though it had just rained sweat.
This sh*! is crazy! No bet is worth winning if I have to do this everyday.
I had every intention to call it quits. I packed the insanity DVD's in my purse to give back to my coworker. Then I thought, I'm not a quitter. What if I actually stuck it out and defied death for 89 more days?
The next day I pulled out the the next workout, Pure Cardio. It was the longest forty-four minutes of my life. I ended in same position as I had the first day. The only change I noticed in myself were that my muscles were screaming bloody murder.
I had to keep reminding myself, I'm not a quitter, I'm not a quitter, I'm not a quitter.....
Each morning at 5 a.m. I pushed myself physically and mentally through each workout. There were some nights I would have nightmares about what I would be facing the next morning (how pathetic is that?) I made sure I didn't skip a workout day. The workouts didn't get easier, but I got stronger. I noticed a difference in my day-to-day life, and in my tumbling.
I'm not one who takes before/after pictures, I don't take selfies at the gym, or post on social media when I'm working out. Today however, is an exception, because two weeks ago, Thursday June 25 (to be exact) was day 90. I completed the insanity challenge!
I am strong. I am unstoppable. I am fierce. I can accomplish anything I put my mind to...and so can you! (picture Uncle Sam and the propaganda poster right now).
I'm not a size two, I still enjoy junk food every now and then, but I also work hard. So, I guess this is me promoting a healthy lifestyle. It's not always easy, but it will always be worth it.


No comments:
Post a Comment