Saturday mornings....my favorite and most cherished time of the week. Waking to no alarm, cozying up in over-sized sweatshirts, there's simply nothing better. Today, I woke up and decided to indulge in oatmeal banana chocolate chip pancakes {a true delicacy, really}, curl myself up while sipping a warm cup of hot tea, and become completely mesmerized with the overly dramatic and unrealistic sanctity of season 2 Gossip Girl on Netflix. Yep, perfect Saturday morning.
It's been a long time since I've been able to just sit down and write, and I'd forgotten how much I love it. Reflecting back, I never thought I'd be where I am today. I have a job! A real, serious, big-girl, job. The most satisfying part is, I love it. I really couldn't imagine myself doing anything else other than teaching {unless Broadway calls me....then the tables will turn furiously}. Not only that, I scored my dream job. Teaching and coaching cheer. I knew it would happen someday, but not one month after returning from Virginia. Let's face it, I have a damn good life and I've truly been blessed.
So with Thanksgiving on the horizon, I'm going to indulge you in a cliche "Thankful post." Because let's be honest, who knows when the next time will be that I post a blog considering my track record.
I am grateful for an education. Over the years, I've come to the unfortunate realization that an education of any sort is a privilege, not a right. In many countries, an education is reserved only for the elite, the males, or simply put, the privileged. The amount of poverty, illness, neglect, and deaths around the world has a direct correlation with the lack of education. While this is a tangent I don't want to get into now, my points is, my education has given me opportunities I would have never experienced otherwise. It enriches my understanding of myself, and the world me. I've experienced a sense of empowerment and a desire to continually seek learning and wisdom in order to achieve my life-long goals. Because of this, I am grateful for the educational opportunities I've had in the past and ones I will have in my future. Nelson Mandela, a former South-African president, politician, and philanthropist eloquently stated, "A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. But when you add to that a literature tongue or pen, then you have something very special."
My niece. I never knew such tiny spirit could bring so much love and joy that fills every part of me. She helps me understand the simplicity of life; that life is all about family and enjoying the people you love most. I thank God for her every single day. I'd also like to take a moment to thank the genius who invented FaceTime. She being 2,685.1 miles away could possibly be the death of me if it wasn't for our almost daily FaceTime dates.
My family. My worst fear growing up was that my parents would divorce. Yes, I now come from a split family. Now that I'm older and am more understanding, I am completely okay with it. The fact is, we still have the same amount of love and appreciation for each other as any other family does. I often tell people that they wouldn't survive the Martinez family unless they can handle teasing, sarcasm, and pranks. This makes up who my family is. Family gatherings {especially when cousins, aunts, and uncles are involved} are often loud and completely chaotic. The best thing is, we're always laughing with and at each other; and, in my opinion, it's the cheapest and most effective form therapy. So yes, split family or not, they're the most important and constant people in my life.
Whitney, look how young we were!
That is all folks.
Happy Saturday!
Love, yours truly.










No comments:
Post a Comment