Pages

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Musical(s): Les Misérables

I love musicals... probably more than the average human being. My interest began when I was eleven-ish. After school my good friend Anne and I used to walk to Reed High (where her dad was the musical director); we'd sit in the back of the auditorium and watch the musical and show-choir rehearsals/performances throughout our young years. There was something about the combination of singing and dancing, romantic-art, and the dramatic presentations that captivated my attention. We'd always talk about how we couldn't wait to be in high school so we could be a part of the prestigious music program. Four musicals, Intermezzo (show choir), hundreds of scores, and countless performances later, those impactful memories feel as though they were just yesterday.

Needless to say, I always jump at the opportunity to see a show.  Nonetheless, despite the many musicals I've seen and know of, Les Misérables definitely made the biggest impression on me, and is hands-down, my favorite musical. I first saw it at the age of 12 when Reed put on an astounding performance; seriously, it was amazing; you wouldn't even know it was a high school production. In May 2011 I saw it in Salt Lake for my birthday with my mom. I don't think I can get through a production without crying.




The story line is far too complicated to try and explain on here; if you don't know it, you can Google it. The all-around message is about having love and compassion toward the people you meet throughout life. Anyway the point of this blog is to share my excitement for Les Misérables, the movie-musical that comes out Christmas Day.  I am so excited!!!








1 comment:

Alisa said...

Carl is THRILLED they are making this movie!! He read the book a few months back and loved it.