Back in 2004, I saw an episode of Rickey's Believe It or Not. It was a story about a woman who was sporting one of those ridiculously large beehive hairstyles back in the 60's. As she was primping herself in the mirror, hundreds of baby spiders started erupting from her hair-do, crawling down her body onto the floor. It turns out a spider had made its way into her hair and laid eggs! I was so haunted by what I had seen; I quickly turned off the T.V. before they stated whether it was fact or fiction. I kick myself for that decision, it was stupid. But in my mind, it makes perfect sense: a spider harvestesting her eggs in a bundle of thick stabilized hair, yeah?! Anyway, that was the straw that broke the camels back for me---I hate spiders! I hate anything that looks threatening and gross. A lot of bugs I can handle killing, but there are a few exceptions.
Now back to horrifying bug moment #2. When I came home from vacation I walked into my bedroom and immediately noticed a small brown spot on the bottom of one of my draping curtains. I quickly glanced at it and figured the sun had worn out the color. Between trying to get back into the groove of things, working forty hours, and hitting the books for my Praxis exam, I completely forgot about the poor condition of my one curtain. By the time Saturday afternoon arrived, I was exhausted from my test. I wanted nothing more than to lay on my bed and relax. I took one look at my disaster stricken bedroom and realized a nap was out of the question.
First order of business: Drape my curtains back so I could get some natural light in my room. I walked to my window and remembered that peculiar brown spot I had noticed days before. I decided to further investigate as I placed my thumb and pointer finger on both sides of the curtain and pinched. That's when I realized something was moving in between the liner. Taken off guard, I threw myself back and let out an overly dramatic scream. After taking a moment to compose myself, I cautiously moved forward, praying my imagination had taken the best of me. Nope, it hadn't, a big something was definitely alive, and that something had little babies crawling around in a little air pocket they created for themselves.
"Oh crap...oh crap...oh crap...craaappp.......!"
My heart was racing and I was suddenly sweating profusely. I once again did the next sensible thing I could think of....I called my mom.
"Mom a freaking bug laid freaking eggs in between the liners of my freaking curtains. Now there's been a family of bugs living in my room for who knows how long... Who knows where else they laid eggs. I would try to remove those pests myself but I'm seriously paralyzed with fear right now. I can't even walk into my room. I’m standing in my doorway starring at my curtains. Oh and I think they're spiders because I saw a lot of legs. HELP ME!!!
Mom: "Calm down Alexandra. I'm around the corner, and I'll take care of it."
"Okay...I'll just wait here and make sure they don't go anywhere..."
My poor mother, bless her heart for all she deals with. I'm surprised she understood my jumbled rampage.
I sat there and waited
.
.
.
and waited
.
.
.
and waited for what felt like eternity.
Finally, I saw an angel sent from the heavens above, my mom making her way upstairs with a vacuum in hand. She somehow sucked those creepy crawly critters up with the vacuum hose. I held my breath the entire time. I could just see an explosion of foreign creatures flowing out of those curtains, invading my oasis. We took my curtains down to wash in HOT water (although I'm seriously considering throwing those away and buying new ones). I proceeded to take every bit of fabric that was in my room at the time and throwing it in the washing machine. I went crazy vacuuming every inch of my room, dusting every piece of furniture, scrubbing my window seal, cleaning the closet, clearing out the junk in my desk etc. I felt like June Cleaver on speed.
I've noticed a pattern in my creepy crawly critter stories: there seems to be at least one horror story every summer. Believe me, I can wait on the next one.

2 comments:
Ha! You crack me up! I would have reacted THE same way! Th other day I saw what I thought was a grey fuzz on my dinning room floor so I kicked it aside...I screamed in the phone with my mom when the "fuzz" moved...not a fuzz apparently...spider. Chad's flip flops make the best bug killers...long and flat :)
AHHHHHHHHHHH! You gave me the shivers! I support the purchasing of new curtains :)
Post a Comment