I've grown a lot over the past year. As you know, 2010 was not the most ideal year for our family, immediate and extended. We've all been through a lot: trails, defeat, bereavement, disappointment, heartbreak, tragedy. You name it, we faced it. But I couldn't be more proud of our family. We came together when the time called, we loved each other, and we grew closer in ways I could have never imagined. The genuine love and bond I feel for the entire Martinez family is overwhelmingly strong.
I want you to know that you continue to inspire me, even today. The humility and selflessness you've shown to people during your life is incredible. The amount of service you've given to your church still lives on. The stories I hear from people who knew you bring tears to my eyes and make me proud to be your grand-daughter. People loved you, and you loved them back, it’s an admirable quality to have, and I envy you for that and much more.
Last weekend in San Francisco I went to the Mausoleum and quietly sat by your stone wall. I watched as the sun rays illuminated your name and picture. I felt your warmth, your hugs, your smile, your laughter, I felt you. I spent much of the weekend walking around the house, looking at all the photographs, and smiling as precious memories came flooding back to me. I remember the humorous stories you and my dad used to tell us (my favorite being the KFC confrontation....classic)! You made life one big party, and in the words of Sofia, "You danced your way to Heaven." I enjoyed sitting with Grandma and listening while she spoke of the kind and genuine person you were, and still are. You're truly inspiring.
I think about you every day and can't help but wonder what kind of special things you're doing in Heaven right now. I was driving the other day, my IPod was on shuffle, and Ave Maria began to play. I always think of you and your amazing voice when I hear that song. I remember when you sang it for me at your house when I was younger; it's something I'll never forget. I'll always admire your charity, kindness, bravery, devotion, diligence, integrity, faith, and love. I wish the whole world could have had the chance to know you. This post seems incredibly inaccurate to describe the amazing husband, father, grandfather, uncle, and friend you were. I miss you every day, but I know I'll see you again.
Te quiero abuelo, I love you Grandpa
Arturo M. Martinez
January 5, 1934 - February 9, 2011
Arturo M. Martinez
January 5, 1934 - February 9, 2011













3 comments:
This is such a sweet post Alex. Your family is unbreakable!
Alex that was beautiful. I haven't been able to post about him yet, it still a little too fresh. Thank you for sharing that, it really touched me. love you!
very beautiful. He has left us with a life time of memories & I am extremly honored to be his grand-daughter.
Post a Comment