I've been neglecting my blog. I just realized my last post was August 5! As some of you may know, my Grandma, Barbra Lynn Day, passed away August 30. It was hard. I've never lost anyone that I was exceptionally close to. I miss her...a lot. She was an amazing person. My mom planned a beautiful memorial service.
I remember walking in the chapel with all our family, I was so scared and had no idea what to expect. My head was down the whole time walking in because I knew if I saw familiar faces I'd lose it. My heart was pounding, my eyes were flooding with tears, my hands were trembling. I sat down and the opening hymn was, "Our Savior's Love." As soon as everyone started singing, it felt as though the windows of heaven opened up. That's when I lost it (it’s a good thing I wore waterproof mascara)! The spirit was so strong, so comforting, so real, so convicting. I've never felt the spirit come over me so strong, I couldn't even move. I hope to remember the peaceful feeling I had forever.
My cousin Ashley and older brother Jonny gave the eulogy. I was reminded of the precious times with my Grandma that I'll cherish forever! When we were little and rode in my Grandparents car, my Grandma insisted that the radio be turned to full blast, we'd dance in the car like crazy people. She had something called the magic comb in her purse. I can remember leaning against her knees as she'd comb my long hair for as long as I wanted, sometimes I would put me to sleep. Whenever we'd visit her house in Campbell (before they moved to Reno) we'd lay our shoes on the fireplace at night. When we'd wake up the next morning, there would be goodies overflowing from our shoes. She'd say, "The shoe fairy must have come last night." During Christmas time, My Grandparents would rent a private trolley in San Francisco. We'd go through the city singing Christmas Carols and look at the beautiful lights. It would stop and let us off at Ghirardelli square where we'd finish the night with a big bowl of Ice cream. I remember it always being so magical; it was every child’s dream.
My Grandma and Grandpa shared something that’s been called, an inspirational love story. Their love for each other is so pure and so beautiful (it even has The Notebook beat). In fact, when we were trying to find a picture of her for the memorial service, we ended up having to crop my Grandpa out of one because they were together in every single picture. I hope to one day live through their example; love and cherish that special someone with all my heart. They both loved Hawaii. In 20 years, they had been to Hawaii 24 times. Their license plate says, "Mahaolo," which means eternal love. That is what they lived by eternal love. They even had their own hand signal to say, "I love you" when they were in a crowded place. I hope my family doesn't kill me, but I call first dibs on that license plate when it becomes available. I guess I just need to find the man to go with it lol.
My Grandma left us with one very special thing before she died. In 2005 she gave us books for Christmas. The book is called, "Memories of My Family Tree." A 213 page book filled with genealogy, family stories, pictures, family treasures etc. I love this book; it's probably one of my favorites!
I was three and a half weeks late when I was born. The family joke is that I was catching up on all the gossip from my aunties before I came down (which is probably very true). I like to think that my Grandma's doing the same thing now; catching up on all the gossip she's missed. As much as I miss her, I know she's in a better place. Despite how hard this has been, I've truly felt my Saviors Love. I'm so grateful for the plan of salvation and the knowledge I have that families are forever. I can't wait until the day comes that I can see her again.
Thank you to all of you who were there for us--emails, flowers, cards, food, love, hugs. Everything!




1 comment:
Words cannot begin to express what is in my heart.... So Thankful for having an AMAZING mom (and dad) and their continual example they have been and continue to be in my life. If I could have only been half the mother my mom was! I will continue to live by her example.
Thank you Alexandra for your pillar of strength and support to me and grandpa during the time grandma was in the hospital, her passing and then planning the memorial service. The song you and Marissa sang was so powerful and heartwarming. It touched everyone there! I love you and am very proud to have you as my daughter.
Families are Forever ..... Mauloa!
Mom
Post a Comment