Pages

Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas Time is here

I love the Christmas season, it is my absolute favorite time of the year. I love the smell of the cinnamon spice candles, the colorful/white lights, carols, hot coco (with a hint of peppermint), the Nutcracker, tree's and ornaments, gingerbread houses, yummy goodies, building snowmen, the crackling fireplace, family and Friends, and of course Christ!!! I also love the traditions that never seem to get old!

As a child these were the most memorable:

One of my favorite memories was the San Fransisco "Trolley" (Cable Car) Ride! Every year Grandma and Grandpa Day would privately rent the trolley and invite our family and friends to ride along and sing Christmas carols. We would get on the trolley near Ghirardelli's Square and ride up to Powel and Market St. We would pass through China Town, St. Francis Square, the Macy's Department store; all being decorated with astounding lights that would take your breathe away. After the Trolley returned us to Ghirardelli's Square, we would go to the best ice cream shop in San Fransisco and eat ice cream to our hearts content!

I also remember as a child climbing in the bed of my dad's truck with Jonny. We would be outside for the longest time gazing into the night sky aggressively searching for Rudolph's flashing red nose. Right before we would go to bed we would sprinkle magical Reindeer food (consisting of oatmeal and glitter) across our lawn and driveway; this would attract the reindeer to our house.

Now that I'm older, I have realized that Christmas is not all about the presents and the fanatsies we believe as children (even though it's fun, lol). I LOVE the Christmas spirit that seems to be inside of everyone. The feeling is difficult to describe in words, but I am sure you know what I'm talking about. It's like a 'Giver' comes forth from inside of people wanting to touch as many lives as possible. The world slows down, the 'worldly' issues seem to disappear, and Christs spirit is more exuberant. Family seems to be more of a priority and friendships are more appreciated. It is the Christmas spirit that I wish could be more constant...the world sure does need it!

No comments: